Functions of NERLDC:
According to The Electricity Act, 2003 Section 28, functions of NERLDC are the following ones.
- The Regional Load Despatch Centre shall be the apex body to ensure integrated operation of the power system in the concerned region.
- The Regional Load Despatch Centre shall comply with such principles, guidelines and methodologies in respect of the wheeling and optimum scheduling and despatch of electricity as the Central Commission may specify in the Grid Code.
- The Regional Load Despatch Centre shall –
- (a) be responsible for optimum scheduling and despatch of electricity within the region, in accordance with the contracts entered into with the licensees or the generating companies operating in the region;
- (b) monitor grid operations;
- (c) keep accounts of quantity of electricity transmitted through the regional grid;
- (d) exercise supervision and control over the inter-State transmission system; and
- (e) be responsible for carrying out real time operations for grid control and despatch of electricity within the region through secure and economic operation of the regional grid in accordance with the Grid Standards and the Grid Code.
- The Regional Load Despatch Centre may levy and collect such fee and charges from the generating companies or licensees engaged in inter-State transmission of electricity as may be specified by the Central Commission.
Compliance of directions:
According to The Electricity Act, 2003 Section 29, Compliance of directions of NERLDC are the following ones.
- The Regional Load Despatch Centre may give such directions and exercise such supervision and control as may be required for ensuring stability of grid operations and for achieving the maximum economy and efficiency in the operation of the power system in the region under its control.
- Every licensee, generating company, generating station, sub-station and any other person connected with the operation of the power system shall comply with the directions issued by the Regional Load Despatch Centres under subsection (1).
- All directions issued by the Regional Load Despatch Centres to any transmission licensee of State transmission lines or any other licensee of the State or generating company (other than those connected to inter State transmission system) or sub-station in the State shall be issued through the State Load Despatch Centre and the State Load Despatch Centres shall ensure that such directions are duly complied with the licensee or generating company or sub-station.
- The Regional Power Committee in the region may, from time to time, agree on matters concerning the stability and smooth operation of the integrated grid and economy and efficiency in the operation of the power system in that region.
- If any dispute arises with reference to the quality of electricity or safe, secure and integrated operation of the regional grid or in relation to any direction given under sub-section (1), it shall be referred to the Central Commission for decision :Provided that pending the decision of the Central Commission, the directions of the Regional Load Despatch Centre shall be complied with by the State Load Despatch Centre or the licensee or the generating company, as the case may be.
- If any licensee, generating company or any other person fails to comply with the directions issued under sub-section (2) or sub-section (3), he shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding rupees fifteen lacs.
Constitution of Regional Load Despatch Centre:
- The Central Government shall establish a centre for each region to be known as the Regional Load Despatch Centre having territorial jurisdiction as determined by the Central Government in accordance with section 25 for the purposes of exercising the powers and discharging the functions under this Part.
- The Regional Load Despatch Centre shall be operated by a Government company or any authority or corporation established or constituted by or under any Central Act, as may be notified by the Central Government:
Provided that until a Government company or authority or corporation referred to in this sub-section is notified by the Central Government, the Central Transmission Utility shall operate the Regional Load Despatch Centre:
Provided further that no Regional Load Despatch Centre shall engage in the business of generation of electricity or trading in electricity.